5 Tips on Buying Entry Doors and Garden Fences
If you’re considering a wrought iron entry door and/or garden fence for your home, design is obviously one important element: you want the door or fence to be beautiful. You also want to ensure that it fits in with the general aesthetic of your home and neighborhood. And finally, you want it to add an element of security to your home as well. Read these 5 tips to learn how to buy wrought iron entry doors and garden fences for your home.
1. Determine your budget. Before you start shopping for entry doors or garden fences for your home, you need to know how much you are willing to spend. You’ll have a variety of options to choose from no matter what your budget, but determining a target price point in advance will simplify your search. Calling a few wrought iron design experts can help you get a sense of price ranges for different types of doors and fences.
2. Choose a style. Doors and fences will become part of your home, so you’ll want to make sure that you select something that you like and that fits with your home’s architectural style. Ornate wrought Iron Fences, for example, look great with Victorian-style homes, but may not be a good fit if your house has a more contemporary look.
3. Don’t forget the details. When it comes to entry doors, you have a number of options in terms of customization. You can add quality handles and locks, opt for decorative glass door panels (which may be frosted, leaded or beveled), or choose a door with detailed carvings. For your garden, you don’t have to settle for an institutional-looking chain link fence. Instead, look for stylish details that complement your yard and garden, such as a bamboo fence for an Asian-inspired yard. Or incorporate a trellis into your fencing to create a living “wall” that provides both privacy and a wind break.
4. Choose the right material. Entry doors may be made of solid wood, wood composite, fiberglass, or steel, while security doors may be made of wrought iron or steel. The best material depends on your specific needs and desires. Wood doors are attractive, but they may not hold up well to the elements. A wood composite door could be affordable, but may not provide the security you need.
In terms of garden fences, be aware that some more decorative options may be made out of less-than-sturdy materials, such as plastic or plywood. Since there are so many options when it comes to entry doors and fences, it’s usually a good idea to consult with a door and fence expert, who can explain the pros and cons of your different options.
5. Consider security. Entry doors do more than welcome visitors to your home. They also provide a critical layer of security. If security is a concern, choose an exterior security door made out of a material such as steel or wrought iron. Garden fences can also protect your home and your family. If you want to keep intruders out or children or pets in, look for high fences that are hard to climb and install a secure, locking gate.